For the fall of 2023, ALLIANCE FRANÇAISE de NEWPORT will offer two levels for learning French language and culture:
- French 1 – Beginning French
- French 4 – Conversation Salon
The Beginning class will be limited to 25 students in order to provide a rich learning experience.
The Conversation Salon, intended for those with advanced conversation skills, will be limited to 15.
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis and will remain open until the classes are filled.
Unfortunately, we cannot offer Intermediate (French 2) and Intermediate+ (French 3) classes this fall, as we were unable to find teachers for these courses. We will be offering the Intermediate class in the spring of 2024 and we will continue the search for a teacher for the Intermediate+ class.
If you were expecting to take the Intermediate+ (French 3) class this fall,
you might like to consider the Conversation Salon (French 4) as an alternative.
Beginning Class (French 1)
- The beginning class is on Tuesday nights from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm. This is a 90 minute session, intended to increase the rate of progress.
- The Beginning classes will start on Tuesday, September 26.
- The instructor is Daniel Kerloch
- The class will be held at Room 265 in the O’Hare Academic Center of Salve Regina University,
100 Ochre Point Avenue, Newport, RI 02840
- No text book is required. Your instructor will suggest materials for further study.
- Don’t feel intimidated! There are no tests or grades! Just the satisfaction of speaking French!
- The Fee for French 1 – Beginning French is $100
- Use this Link to enroll – Beginning French (French 1)
Conversation Salon (French 4)
- The Conversation Salon is on Thursday nights beginning at 6:00 and will initially convene at the instructor’s house in South Kingstown, RI. (the location may vary during the semester)
- The Conversation Salon sessions will start on Thursday September 28.
- The Salon leader is Laurel Lefebvre
- The Conversation Salon is a conversation group, usually over a glass of wine, with no textbook or set agenda.
- These meetings will be conducted entirely in French. Each student may be expected to converse on a subject assigned in advance.
- The fee for the Conversation Salon is $50
- Use this Link to enroll – Salon Conversation (French 4)
Students must be members of the Alliance Française de Newport for the current fiscal year.
Here is the link to the Membership Signup Page.